Mount St Mary's University is a nonprofit private institution located in Emmitsburg, MD and provides a large number of program options for students. The school's Roman Catholic affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Mount St. Mary's University has a yearly student enrollment of over 2,100.
Areas of study offered at Mount St Mary's University include but are not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
- Social Sciences
- Theology And Religious Vocations
The admissions process begins with the submission of an application, transcripts, and test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions staff. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores within the range of 1450 - 1760 for the SAT exam and between 19 - 23 on the ACT is common among students accepted to Mount St. Mary's University. This school admits about 70 percent of students applying yearly. Of those accepted, around 17 percent of students registered for enrollment. More information on admissions can be found at msmary.edu.
The cost of tuition is close to $35,000, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to use the school's price of attendance calculator to better understand their cost of attendance. Housing may be available for those who wish to live on-campus for around a cost of $5,700 annually. Mount St Mary's University may offer financial aid for students that are eligible in the form of grants and loans.
Mount St Mary's University offers a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Lacrosse (NCAA Division I-AAA)
Contact information, academics information, programs, and more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.msmary.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students Mount St. Mary's University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Mount St Mary’s University is around 2,300 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 22% enrolling as graduate students and 80% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $36,000-$44,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $1,200-$1,500 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$20,753|
|Receiving Student Loans||69%||$9,410|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Mount St Mary’s University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Mount St Mary’s University is around 66%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||61%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||4%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||0.4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2008)
- Theology (Ministry) Program
- * Accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (since 1987)
Mount St Mary’s University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Northeast Conference)
- Basketball (Northeast Conference)
- Track and Field (Northeast Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Mount St Mary’s University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Mount St Mary’s University.
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania in Shippensburg, PA (28 miles away)
- Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV (30 miles away)
- Towson University in Towson, MD (44 miles away)
- Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD (47 miles away)
- Bowie State University in Bowie, MD (55 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Get a list of all the colleges in Maryland
- Compare other Maryland private colleges
- Browse our detailed list of Bible & Christian Colleges in Maryland
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Mount St Mary’s University for official up-to-date information.