Northern is a nonprofit private institution located in Ada, Ohio and provides a large number of program options for students. The school's United Methodist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's vision. Northern has an annual student enrollment of about 3,600.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, transcripts, records, test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the school. Students may take either the SAT or ACT exam scores to be considered for admissions at Northern. A score between 1580 - 1900 on the SAT, or 24 - 29 for the ACT is common among admitted students. Approximately 80% of all applicant were admitted at this school, with 27% of those accepted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at onu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is approximately $38,000 per year. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and therefore students should visit the school's price of attendance calculator to get a better idea of their personalized cost estimate of attendance. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is estimated to be $5,500. Some students at Northern may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically provided as grants or student loans.
The mascot for Ohio Northern University is the "Polar Bears", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Football (NCAA Division III)
Students who wish to get more about Northern may visit their website at www.onu.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants Ohio Northern University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Ohio Northern University has a total student population of about 3,200, with undergraduate students making up about 74% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $31,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Per unit charges are around $1,300 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$19,325|
|Receiving Student Loans||96%||$9,677|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Ohio Northern University may provide student services including:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
Ohio Northern University has a very high graduation rate when compared to nearby similar schools.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||41%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Law Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Ohio Northern University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Football (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Ohio Northern University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Ohio Northern University.
- Ohio State University - Lima Campus in Lima, OH (11 miles away)
- Wright State University - Lake Campus in Celina, OH (37 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Marion Campus in Marion, OH (41 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Mansfield Campus in Mansfield, OH (65 miles away)
- Wright State University in Dayton, OH (70 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Compare schools and see a list of all colleges in Ohio
- Get a list of all private colleges in Ohio
- See if these other Christian Colleges in Ohio may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Ohio Northern University for official up-to-date information.