PLNU provides a variety of educational opportunities for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in San Diego, California and operated as a private institution. The school's Church of the Nazarene affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Enrollment at Point Loma Nazarene University is nearly three thousand per year.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs PLNU offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
The admissions process begins with the submission of an application, school records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. A SAT or ACT exam may be required prior to applying, with scores within the range of 1470 - 1780 for the SAT exam and within the range of 23 - 28 on the ACT is common among students admitted to PLNU. PLNU has an acceptance rate of around 52% of which only 28% chose to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
Tuition is approximately $31,000 for the year, though it may vary based on different types of circumstances. Students should check the school's tuition calculator to determine cost. Some students at Point Loma Nazarene University may qualify for financial aid, which is typically provided as scholarships, grants, and loans.
This school has a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NAIA. Available athletic programs offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NAIA Division I)
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Track & Field (NAIA Division I)
For a complete list of areas of study, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please take a look at the school's website at http://www.pointloma.edu/home.htm.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants PLNU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Point Loma Nazarene University is around 3,700 students, where graduate students make up roughly 16% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $32,000-$38,000 per year
- Per unit charges are around $1,500 for part time students
- The average estimated cost for on campus housing and meals is listed to be around $12,000
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||90%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||83%||$15,065|
|Receiving Student Loans||63%||$7,786|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Point Loma Nazarene University may provide services including:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
PLNU has a very high graduation rate when compared to similar schools nearby.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||62%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Point Loma Nazarene University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NAIA Division I classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Pacific West Conference)
- Basketball (Pacific West Conference)
- Track and Field (Pacific West Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Point Loma Nazarene University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Point Loma Nazarene University.
- California State University - San Marcos in San Marcos, CA (29 miles away)
- Saginaw Valley State University in University Center, MI (74 miles away)
- California State University - Fullerton in Fullerton, CA (88 miles away)
- California State University - Long Beach in Long Beach, CA (89 miles away)
- California State Polytechnic University - Pomona in Pomona, CA (98 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Get a list of all the colleges in California
- Get a list of all private colleges in California
- See if these other Christian Colleges in California may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Point Loma Nazarene University for official up-to-date information.