Washington & Jefferson College is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and assists students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Washington, PA, which is a predominantly suburban area. Enrollment at W&J is nearly a thousand per year.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs W&J offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- English Language And Literature
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions officials. W&J has an acceptance rate of 43 percent of which only 14 percent chose to attend. More information on admissions can be found at washjeff.edu.
Tuition is approximately $40,000 per year, though it may change based on any number of circumstances. Students may visit the school's net price calculator to get a more personalized estimate of costs. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $6,300. Washington & Jefferson College may help with costs by offering financial aid for students that qualify by way of grants and loans.
The W&J Presidents participate in a number of athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Sports available:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division III)
Students may take a look at the school's http://www.washjeff.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Washington & Jefferson College accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Washington & Jefferson College is about 1,400, with undergraduate students making up about 100% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $43,000-$51,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- Part time students pay in the range of $1,100 to $1,300 per unit
- May offer prepaid tuition rates, allowing tuition to be purchased at current rates for future enrollment.
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$26,039|
|Receiving Student Loans||77%||$8,631|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Washington & Jefferson College may offer services to students like:
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
W&J has a very high graduation rate when compared to other similar schools in the area.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||73%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||3%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||0.7%|
Washington & Jefferson College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Presidents Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Presidents Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Presidents Athletic Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Presidents Athletic Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
- Water Polo
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Washington & Jefferson College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Washington & Jefferson College.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Greater Allegheny in McKeesport, PA (25 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Greensburg in Greensburg, PA (38 miles away)
- Fairmont State University in Fairmont, WV (48 miles away)
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania in Slippery Rock, PA (62 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Titusville in Titusville, PA (105 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Review a complete list of all the Pennsylvania colleges
- See all private colleges in Pennsylvania
- Find other great liberal arts colleges in Pennsylvania
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Washington & Jefferson College for official up-to-date information.