Wayland Baptist University is a nonprofit private institution located in Plainview, Texas and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. The school's Southern Baptist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's vision. WBU has a yearly student enrollment of approximately 6,400.
Students can choose from many areas of study, including:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Security And Protective Services
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, student records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions committee. Students may provide either the ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admissions to this school. A score within the range of 1160 - 1450 on the SAT, or 16 - 22 for the ACT is usually submitted among admitted students. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is close to $12,000, but may change from year to year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's net price calculator to better understand their cost of attendance. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is about $1,800. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for WBU is the "Pioneers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NAIA. Available sports offered:
- Baseball (NAIA Division I)
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Track & Field (NAIA Division I)
- Golf (NAIA Division I)
- Soccer (NAIA Division I)
Students should visit the WBU website to obtain a complete list of academic programs offered, financial aid details, and more that is available at this school.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Wayland Baptist University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Wayland Baptist University is around 5,200 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 6% enrolling as graduate students and 73% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $13,000-$15,000 per year
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $530 to $630 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||98%||$10,806|
|Receiving Student Loans||64%||$6,920|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Wayland Baptist University may offer services including:
- Distance learning
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
Wayland Baptist University has an overall graduation rate which is close to 33%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||21%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Wayland Baptist University
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 2003)
Campus: San Antonio Campus
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2010)
Wayland Baptist University is a Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), with many of the sports belonging to the NAIA Division I classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Sooner Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Sooner Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Sooner Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Wayland Baptist University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Wayland Baptist University.
- West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX (56 miles away)
- Eastern New Mexico University - Main Campus in Portales, NM (92 miles away)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin in Odessa, TX (163 miles away)
- Oklahoma Panhandle State University in Goodwell, OK (167 miles away)
- New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, NM (169 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- See all colleges in Texas
- Find out what other private colleges are located in Texas
- Compare other Texas Christian and Bible Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Wayland Baptist University for official up-to-date information.