WPI provides a variety of program options for students to guide them in their growth and development. The school is located in Worcester, MA and operated as a private institution. Worcester Polytechnic Institute has an annual student enrollment of nearly 5,400.
Students may pick from a few areas of study, including:
- Computer And Information Sciences
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Students applying for admission are asked to submit an application, transcripts, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions staff. Worcester Polytechnic Institute admits around 60 percent of students applying. Of those accepted, nearly 25 percent of students enrolled. More information regarding admissions can be found here by accessing the school's website at wpi.edu.
The cost of tuition is close to $44,000, but may change yearly. Students are encouraged to use the school's price of attendance calculator to better understand their cost of attendance. Housing may be available for students that want to live on-campus at an estimated cost of $7,700 each year. Worcester Polytechnic Institute may provide financial aid for students who qualify as grants and loans.
The mascot for Worcester Polytechnic Institute is the "Engineers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NCAA. Sports available:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division III)
- Football (NCAA Division III)
Students should visit the Worcester Polytechnic Institute website to see a complete list of programs offered, financial aid details, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants Worcester Polytechnic Institute accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Worcester Polytechnic Institute is around 6,600 students, with undergraduate students making up about 65% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $49,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Part time students pay in the range of $1,200 to $1,500 per unit
- May offer prepaid tuition rates, allowing tuition to be purchased at current rates for future enrollment.
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||97%||$20,152|
|Receiving Student Loans||58%||$11,065|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Worcester Polytechnic Institute may offer services like:
- Online course work available
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
WPI has a very high graduation rate when compared to similar schools nearby.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||70%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
WPI is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (New England Womens & Mens Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (New England Womens & Mens Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (New England Womens & Mens Athletic Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Upstate Collegiate Athletic Association)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Worcester Polytechnic Institute by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester in Manchester, NH (52 miles away)
- United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT (64 miles away)
- United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY (143 miles away)
- SUNY Maritime College in Throggs Neck, NY (145 miles away)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, NJ (162 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Review a complete list of all the Massachusetts colleges
- Get a list of all private colleges in Massachusetts
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Worcester Polytechnic Institute for official up-to-date information.