Friendly, affordable, and convenient - three hallmarks that make Athens State University a great place to continue your education.
At Athens State, we understand that career opportunities rest on your college education. Over 3,500 students have selected Athens State because of this neighborly environment where over 30 different degrees are taught by an understanding and quality faculty.
Whether you work full or part-time or whether you are a full-time student, Athens State offers a course schedule to meet your needs whether it be day, night, weekend or distance courses. Because nearly every student is from North Alabama or Southern Tennessee , you will literally attend class with people you know. Don't find yourself being just another student number. Consider Athens State University!
In June 1975, the Alabama State Board of Education accepted Athens College into the state educational system. Following its acceptance, the Alabama State Legislature appropriated funds for the operation of the newly minted Athens State College to serve the graduates of state junior, community, and technical colleges and institutes. Finally, in 1998, a bill was passed to rename the College as Athens State University to reflect its growth and change over the years.
As the only institution in the state of Alabama offering upper division educational services, Athens State University continues to enjoy the important and unique position that it has always occupied within the community. With a firm history upon which to build its foundation, Athens State’s colorful past has supplied the Institution with the tools necessary to continue serving Alabama far into the future.
- Wallace State Hanceville University Center
- Northeast University Center
- Northwest-Shoals Distance Learning Center
- Redstone Arsenal
- Wallace Community College Selma Distance Learning Center
- Snead Distance Learning Center
Click here to see a map of the campus.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the candidates Athens State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Athens State University is around 3,000 students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $5,500-$6,600
- Out-of-State: $11,000-$13,250
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $180-$220 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $360-$430 per credit unit
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||69%||$2,459|
|Student Loans (Federal)||65%||$6,055|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Athens State University may provide services to students including:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1997)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Athens State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Athens State University.
- Alabama A&M University in Normal, AL (22 miles away)
- University of North Alabama in Florence, AL (40 miles away)
- University of Montevallo in Montevallo, AL (93 miles away)
- Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, AL (97 miles away)
- Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN (121 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: