William and Mary is a public school that has many majors available for students to choose from. The school is located in Williamsburg, VA, in a predominantly suburban area. William and Mary has a yearly student enrollment of around 8,000.
Areas of study available at William and Mary include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Social Sciences
- English Language And Literature
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Students applying for admission are most often asked to submit an application, school records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions officials. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores between 1860 - 2170 on the SAT and within the range of 28 - 32 for the ACT exam is typical among students admitted to this school. An estimated 30 percent of all students that applied were admitted at this school, with 33 percent of those admitted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at wm.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay close to $14,000 and out-of-state residents pay $40,000 per year. Housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is approximately $5,600. This school may provide financial aid for students that qualify in the form of grants and loans.
Athletic programs are available at William and Mary through the NCAA, allowing students to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Athletic programs available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can visit the College of William and Mary website to see a complete list of areas of study, student services, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students College of William and Mary accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at College of William and Mary is around 8,500 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 18% enrolling as graduate students and 74% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $14,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $70 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $12,000-$14,000
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $35,000-$42,150
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $370-$440 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $1,100-$1,300 per credit unit
- Some programs may have tuition rates locked at the first year rate for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||54%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||36%||$18,179|
|Receiving Student Loans||28%||$7,134|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, College of William and Mary may offer services to students like:
- Online course work available
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
With a graduation rate of around 90%, College of William and Mary is among the most successful schools in the area.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||83%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||6%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Law Program
- * Accredited by the American Bar Association, Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar (since 1932)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1973)
College of William and Mary is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Basketball (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Track and Field (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by College of William and Mary by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to College of William and Mary.
- Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA (19 miles away)
- Norfolk State University in Norfolk, VA (38 miles away)
- Virginia State University in Petersburg, VA (39 miles away)
- St Mary's College of Maryland in St. Mary's City, MD (65 miles away)
- Elizabeth City State University in Elizabeth City, NC (74 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: