FSU, a public institution, offers a variety of educational opportunities, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Big Rapids, Michigan, the school offers a rural setting for students to study in. Approximately fourteen thousand students are enrolled annually at FSU.
Students may choose from many areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Security And Protective Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
The admissions process will include the submission of an application, transcripts, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions office. Most students admitted to FSU score in-between 19 to 24 on the ACT exam. 77% of students that apply are accepted to this school, of which 32 percent choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The tuition at Ferris State University varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay around $11,000 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $17,000 per year. Some students at FSU may qualify for financial aid, which is typically offered as grants or student loans.
The mascot for Ferris State University is the "Bulldogs", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Ice Hockey (NCAA Division II)
For a complete list of areas of study, programs, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.ferris.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the candidates Ferris State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Ferris State University has a total student population of about 15,000, where graduate students make up roughly 13% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $12,800. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $11,000-$13,000
- Out-of-State: $17,000-$20,920
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $390-$460 per unit
- Out-of-State: $580-$700 per unit
- The estimated cost for on campus dorms & meals is around $11,000
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||86%||$9,029|
|Receiving Student Loans||74%||$8,007|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Ferris State University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
- Day care
Ferris State University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 43%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Ferris State University at Grand Rapids/Kendall College of Art and Design
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 1978)
Campus: Ferris State University
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Optometry (O.D.) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
Campus: Ferris State University at Grand Rapids - Bostwick
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (since 1939)
Ferris State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Track and Field (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Football (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Ice Hockey
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Ferris State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Ferris State University.
- Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, MI (36 miles away)
- Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI (54 miles away)
- University of Michigan - Flint in Flint, MI (101 miles away)
- University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee in Milwaukee, WI (128 miles away)
- University of Wisconsin - Green Bay in Green Bay, WI (135 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: