Fort Valley State University is a public historically black institution located in Fort Valley, GA. Many historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of Georgia. Approximately 3,700 students are enrolled annually at Fort Valley State University.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Fort Valley State University offers:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Security And Protective Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Public Administration And Social Services
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to complete an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions office. Students may take either the SAT or ACT exam scores to be considered for admissions to Fort Valley State University. A score within the range of 1090 to 1340 on the SAT, or 15 to 19 for the ACT is common among admitted students. Roughly 40 percent of all students that applied were accepted at this school, with 42 percent of those accepted choosing to enroll. More information on admissions can be found at fvsu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay close to $6,600, while out-of-state residents pay $19,000 annually. The price of on-campus housing is estimated to be $4,300 annually. Students attending Fort Valley State University may be eligible for aid which is usually grants and loans.
The Fort Valley State University "Wildcats" compete in a number of intercollegiate sports through participation in the NCAA. Available sports offered may include the following:
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Softball (NCAA Division II)
- Tennis (NCAA Division II)
Contact information, financial aid information, programs offered, and much more may be accessed on school's website at http://www.fvsu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the applicants Fort Valley State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Fort Valley State University has a total student population of about 2,700, where graduate students make up roughly 16% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $14,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,900-$4,700
- Out-of-State: $14,000-$16,970
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $160-$190 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $590-$710 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||92%||$6,870|
|Receiving Student Loans||93%||$7,473|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Fort Valley State University may offer services including:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Assisting students to find work
- Day care
Fort Valley State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 30%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||8%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- * Accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (since 2014)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1971)
Fort Valley State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Football (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Fort Valley State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Fort Valley State University.
- Georgia Southwestern State University in Americus, GA (36 miles away)
- Gordon College in Barnesville, GA (39 miles away)
- Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, GA (54 miles away)
- Columbus State University in Columbus, GA (61 miles away)
- Albany State University in Albany, GA (69 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: