MU, a public institution, offers a variety of program options, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Huntington, West Virginia, the campus offers an urban setting for students to study in. MU has an annual student enrollment of about 14,000.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs MU offers:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. Students may submit either the ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admissions to Marshall University. A score in a range of 890 - 1120 on the SAT, or 19 - 24 for the ACT is usually submitted among admitted students. This school has an admissions rate of 81% of which only 85% chose to enroll. A full suite of admissions information can be obtained by calling MU or by requesting information from this page.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay around $6,200 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $15,000 per year. The price of on-campus housing is around $5,300 annually. This school may provide financial aid for students who qualify as grants and loans.
The Marshall University Thundering Herd participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-A)
- Football (NCAA Division I-A)
Students who would like to see more about MU can check out their website at marshall.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the candidates Marshall University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Marshall University has a total student population of about 14,000. The student body is made up of 70% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $5,700-$6,900
- Out-of-State: $15,000-$17,410
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $280-$340 per unit
- Out-of-State: $650-$780 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||88%||$8,790|
|Receiving Student Loans||61%||$6,023|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Marshall University may provide services like:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care
Marshall University has an overall graduation rate which is around 44%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||23%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Program
- Dietetics Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Marshall University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-A classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Conference Usa)
- Basketball (Conference Usa)
- Track and Field (Conference Usa)
- Football (Conference Usa)
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Marshall University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Marshall University.
- Ohio University - Southern Campus in Ironton, OH (15 miles away)
- West Virginia State University in Institute, WV (37 miles away)
- Shawnee State University in Portsmouth, OH (37 miles away)
- Morehead State University in Morehead, KY (57 miles away)
- West Virginia University Institute of Technology in Montgomery, WV (61 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: