Missouri Southern State University is a public university that has a large number of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Joplin, Missouri, in a predominantly urban area. Enrollment at Missouri Southern State University exceeds five thousand yearly.
Students may choose from a few areas of study, including:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Security And Protective Services
- Health And Clinical Professions
The admissions process will include the submission of an application, transcripts, and test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions staff. Most students at MSSU scored between 18 to 24 on the ACT exam. More information on admissions can be found at mssu.edu.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay close to $6,000 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $11,000 for the year. MSSU may help with costs by offering financial aid for students who are eligible as scholarships, grants, and loans.
MSSU has several athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students should visit the school's http://www.mssu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Missouri Southern accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Missouri Southern State University has a total student population of about 5,800, where graduate students make up roughly 16% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $5,300-$6,400
- Out-of-State: $11,000-$12,750
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $180-$210 per unit
- Out-of-State: $350-$420 per unit
- On-campus housing and meals are estimated to cost around $7,900
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||89%||$5,463|
|Receiving Student Loans||60%||$5,219|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Missouri Southern State University may provide services like:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
- Child care
Missouri Southern State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 37%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Missouri Southern State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Basketball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Track and Field (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Football (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Missouri Southern State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Missouri Southern State University.
- Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, KS (24 miles away)
- Rogers State University in Claremore, OK (84 miles away)
- University of Arkansas - Fort Smith in Fort Smith, AR (118 miles away)
- Emporia State University in Emporia, KS (131 miles away)
- Washburn University in Topeka, KS (150 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: