Oakland is a public institution that has a fair number of majors available for students to choose from. The school is located in Rochester Hills, Michigan, in a predominantly suburban area. Approximately 19,000 students are enrolled annually at Oakland University.
Areas of study available at Oakland include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Communications And Journalism
- Business And Marketing Studies
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be asked to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions staff. Most students accepted to Oakland score in a range of 19 to 25 on the ACT exam. An estimated 70% of all applicant were accepted at this school, with 34% of those admitted choosing to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found at oakland.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay approximately $11,000, while nonresidents pay $26,000 for the year. Oakland University may help with costs by offering financial aid for students who qualify by way of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
Athletic programs are available at Oakland University through the NCAA, allowing students to compete in intercollegiate sports. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AAA)
Students can visit the Oakland University website to see a complete list of areas of study, admissions information, and more that is available at this school.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the students Oakland University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Oakland University is around 20,000 students, where graduate students make up roughly 13% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $11,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $12,000-$15,000
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $25,000-$29,680
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $410-$500 per unit
- Out-of-State: $830-$990 per unit
- The average estimated cost for room and board is listed to be around $11,000
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||85%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||74%||$8,784|
|Receiving Student Loans||51%||$5,675|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Oakland University may provide services to students like:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
- Day care for children
Oakland University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 43%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||19%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||9%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Teacher Education (Bachelor's) Program
- Dance Program
- Graduate Teacher Education Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Theatre Program
Oakland University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Horizon League)
- Basketball (Horizon League)
- Track and Field (Horizon League)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Oakland University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Oakland University.
- Wayne State University in Detroit, MI (21 miles away)
- University of Michigan - Dearborn in Dearborn, MI (23 miles away)
- University of Michigan - Flint in Flint, MI (36 miles away)
- Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI (39 miles away)
- University of Toledo in Toledo, OH (72 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: