Prairie View A&M University is a public historically black institution located in Prairie View, TX. A majority of historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of Texas. Enrollment at Prairie View A&M University exceeds eight thousand per year.
Students can pick from many areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Security And Protective Services
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Business And Marketing Studies
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by the admissions committee. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores between 1110 - 1370 for the SAT exam and within the range of 15 - 20 for the ACT exam is common among students admitted to PVAMU. 40% of applicants are admitted to this school, of which 48% choose to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found at pvamu.edu.
The cost of tuition varies for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay close to $6,700 and out-of-state residents pay $15,000 annually. Student housing is available for students, and generally costs about $5,400 each year. Students at this school may be eligible for aid which is generally grants and loans.
The mascot for Prairie View A&M University is the "Panthers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can visit the PVAMU website to obtain a complete list of academic programs offered, financial aid details, and more that is available at this school.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants PVAMU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Prairie View A&M University is around 8,300 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 20% enrolling as graduate students and 83% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State: $6,100-$7,300
- Out-of-State: $19,000-$22,290
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $230-$270 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $650-$780 per credit unit
- Some programs may have tuition rates locked at the first year rate for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||88%||$10,922|
|Receiving Student Loans||79%||$6,401|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Prairie View A&M University may provide services including:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
- Employment search assistance
The overall graduation rate of Prairie View A&M University is approximately 37%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||18%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||8%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Prairie View A&M University
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Campus: Prairie View AM University Nursing Center
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2003)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1973)
Prairie View A&M University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Prairie View A&M University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Prairie View A&M University.
- University of Houston - Downtown in Houston, TX (44 miles away)
- Texas Southern University in Houston, TX (45 miles away)
- Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX (51 miles away)
- University of Houston - Clear Lake in Houston, TX (63 miles away)
- University of Houston - Victoria in Victoria, TX (106 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: