University of Alabama at Birmingham is a public college that has a large selection of majors and degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Birmingham, Alabama, in a predominantly urban area. Enrollment at UAB is nearly 18,000 per year.
Areas of study available at UAB include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. Students may provide either the ACT or SAT exam scores to be considered for admissions to UAB. A score in a range of 1000 to 1270 on the SAT, or 21 to 27 for the ACT is common among accepted students. 72% of those who apply are accepted to UAB, of which 40 percent choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition & fees at UAB are different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state tuition costs around $6,900 per year, while out-of-state tuition costing $16,000 per year. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $5,900. This school may offer financial aid for students who qualify by way of grants and loans.
The mascot for University of Alabama at Birmingham is the "Blazers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NCAA. Athletic programs available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-A)
Contact information, admission forms, programs, and much more may be viewed on school's website at http://www.uab.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the candidates University of Alabama at Birmingham accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at University of Alabama at Birmingham is about 18,000, where graduate students make up roughly 9% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,800. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $7,800-$9,300
- Out-of-State: $18,000-$21,180
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $310-$370 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $720-$860 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||91%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||83%||$8,462|
|Receiving Student Loans||54%||$7,103|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, University of Alabama at Birmingham may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
University of Alabama at Birmingham has an overall graduation rate which is close to 54%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||29%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||17%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Program
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Endodontics Program
- English Language Program
- Health Services Administration Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Optometry (O.D.) Program
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics Program
- Pediatric Dentistry Program
- Periodontics Program
- Prosthodontics Program
- Master's in Public Health (M.P.H.) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theatre Program
University of Alabama at Birmingham is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-A classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Conference Usa)
- Basketball (Conference Usa)
- Track and Field (Conference Usa)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Alabama at Birmingham by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- University of Montevallo in Montevallo, AL (5 miles away)
- The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL (48 miles away)
- Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, AL (63 miles away)
- Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL (69 miles away)
- University of Alabama in Huntsville in Huntsville, AL (84 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: