Get more information about University of Maine by clicking links below:
UMaine provides a variety of program options for students to guide them in their growth and development. The school is located in Orono, ME and publically funded. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of Maine. Enrollment at University of Maine is nearly 12,000 per year.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs University of Maine offers:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit high school records and test scores, which are then studied by admissions staff. The most common test scores among applicants admitted to this school are within the range of 21 to 27 for the ACT exam, or 1430 to 1770 for the SAT exam. 78% of students that apply are admitted to University of Maine, of which 32% choose to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at umaine.edu.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay nearly $12,000 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $29,000 for the year. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is about $5,000. Students attending UMaine may be eligible for aid which is typically scholarships, grants, and loans.
The UMaine Black Bears participate in a number of athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs that are available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can visit the University of Maine website to obtain a complete list of areas of study, programs, student services, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants University of Maine accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
University of Maine has a total student population of about 11,000, with undergraduate students making up about 85% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $16,000. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $40 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $8,400-$10,000
- Out-of-State: $27,000-$31,970
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $280-$330 per unit
- Out-of-State: $890-$1,100 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$9,226|
|Receiving Student Loans||73%||$8,173|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, University of Maine may provide services to students including:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
University of Maine has an overall graduation rate which is close to 56%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||36%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dietetics Program
- English Language Program (more info)
- Law Program
- Music Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
University of Maine is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (America East)
- Basketball (America East)
- Track and Field (America East)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Atlantic 10 Conference)
- Ice Hockey
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Maine by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Maine.
- University of Maine at Machias in Machias, ME (64 miles away)
- University of Maine at Augusta in Augusta, ME (76 miles away)
- University of Maine at Presque Isle in Presque Isle, ME (114 miles away)
- University of Southern Maine in Portland, ME (127 miles away)
- University of Maine at Fort Kent in Fort Kent, ME (150 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: