UMD is a public school that has a fair number of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Duluth, MN, in a predominantly urban area. Enrollment at UMD exceeds twelve thousand per year.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
Students applying for admission are asked to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions staff. A SAT or ACT exam may be required prior to applying, with scores between 1400 to 1780 for the SAT exam and between 22 to 26 on the ACT is typical among students admitted to UMD. University of Minnesota - Duluth accepts approximately 80% of applicants yearly. Of those applicants admitted, nearly 37% registered for enrollment. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay approximately $14,000 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $16,000 annually. UMD may offer financial aid for students who qualify as scholarships, grants, and loans.
The UMD Bulldogs participate in several athletic programs, within the NCAA organization. Available sports offered may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
For a complete list of programs offered, enrollment information, student services, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.d.umn.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants University of Minnesota – Duluth accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at University of Minnesota – Duluth is around 11,000 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 18% enrolling as graduate students and 90% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,700. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $40 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $12,000-$14,000
- Out-of-State: $16,000-$19,020
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $460-$550 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $610-$730 per credit unit
- The average estimated cost for room and board is listed to be around $8,700, the cost includes nineteen meals every week
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||86%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||65%||$7,171|
|Receiving Student Loans||64%||$7,255|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, University of Minnesota – Duluth may provide services to students like:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
The overall graduation rate of University of Minnesota – Duluth is around 59%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||30%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||24%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- English Language Program
- Music Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
University of Minnesota – Duluth is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Basketball (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Track and Field (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Football (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)
- Ice Hockey
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Minnesota – Duluth by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Minnesota – Duluth.
- University of Wisconsin - Superior in Superior, WI (6 miles away)
- Saint Cloud State University in Saint Cloud, MN (132 miles away)
- Metropolitan State University in Saint Paul, MN (137 miles away)
- University of Wisconsin - River Falls in River Falls, WI (138 miles away)
- Bemidji State University in Bemidji, MN (140 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: