University of Southern Maine provides a variety of program options for students to guide them in their growth and development. The school is located in Portland, ME and publically funded. Approximately 9,700 students are enrolled yearly at USM.
Areas of study offered at University of Southern Maine include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Social Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be asked to fill out an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by admissions staff. Either the SAT or ACT exam can be taken in order to apply to this school. Scores between 19 - 22 on the ACT or 1320 - 1650 on the SAT are required to greatly increase the chance of acceptance. Roughly 80 percent of all applicant were accepted at this school, with 25 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay close to $9,800, while nonresidents pay $23,000 per year. On-campus housing is available for students, and generally costs about $5,500 annually. This school may provide financial aid for students that qualify as loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
Athletic programs are available at University of Southern Maine through the NCAA, allowing students to compete in intercollegiate sports. Athletic programs available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
Students who would like to get more about this school can visit their website at http://www.usm.maine.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the students University of Southern Maine accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
University of Southern Maine has a total student population of about 7,700, where graduate students make up roughly 9% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $16,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $40 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $6,600-$7,900
- Out-of-State: $17,000-$20,750
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $250-$300 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $670-$800 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||92%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||81%||$6,450|
|Receiving Student Loans||66%||$7,097|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, University of Southern Maine may offer services like:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
The overall graduation rate of University of Southern Maine is approximately 34%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: University of Southern Maine
- Art and Design Program
- Teacher Education (Bachelor's) Program
- Graduate Teacher Education Program
- Health Services Administration Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
Campus: University of Southern Maine - Lewiston Auburn College
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- * Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 2014)
University of Southern Maine is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Little East Conference)
- Basketball (Little East Conference)
- Track and Field (Little East Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Ice Hockey
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Southern Maine by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Southern Maine.
- University of Maine at Farmington in Farmington, ME (43 miles away)
- University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH (50 miles away)
- University of Maine at Augusta in Augusta, ME (53 miles away)
- Granite State College in Concord, NH (70 miles away)
- Plymouth State University in Plymouth, NH (71 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: