Wayne State University (WSU) is located in the heart of Detroit, Michigan on a 200-acre campus. Wayne State offers more than 350 different degree programs and majors at the undergraduate and graduate levels. In addition to its main campus, Wayne State has a School of Medicine campus, which includes the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy, and the Matthei Athletic Complex.
A national research university, Wayne State has a strong Division of Research with a dedicated research faculty and excellent resources for students including leadership, information, guidance and support. Its long history of innovation to solve real-world problems has helped to earn WSU its status as a top research center and one of only two public universities to receive both the Carnegie "Very High Research" award and the "Community Engagement" honor.
The Medical College of Wayne State University was founded in 1868. In 1917, a junior college and four other schools were established at the university on its extensive urban campus. The colleges were organized into a university in the 1930s, and support from the state was initiated in the 1950s.
Wayne State University (WSU) has a fall, winter, spring and summer term.
WSU has 13 colleges and schools offering roughly 400 academic programs that include 126 bachelor's degree programs, 139 master's degree programs, 60 doctoral degree programs and 30 professional and certificate programs.
Colleges and Schools
- School of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- School of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts
- Graduate School
- Irvin D. Reid Honors College
- Law School
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- School of Library and Information Science
- School of Medicine
- College of Nursing
- Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- School of Social Work
There are many things to do on campus at Wayne State, including scaling a 30-foot climbing wall or volunteering with one of the many student organizations. There are theatrical performances offered year-round, among many other activities for entertainment and recreation. For a list of events and activities, students can visit the Dean of Students Office.
Other student services include the Academic Success Center, "OneCard" student ID card (which is also a discount card for purchases), the University Advising Center, and more.
The Wayne State "Warriors" have 16 varsity teams competing in intercollegiate sports.
- Cross Country
- Swimming & Diving
- Cross Country
- Ice Hockey
- Swimming & Diving
Wayne State University's location in metro Detroit offers easy access to a wealth of culture, arts and entertainment. There are nearby art shows, music festivals, and theatre performances and sports events.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants Wayne State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Wayne State University is about 27,000. The student body is made up of 65% undergraduate students and 9% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $13,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State: $11,000-$14,000
- Out-of-State: $26,000-$31,250
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $380-$450 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $870-$1,000 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||93%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||89%||$8,512|
|Receiving Student Loans||54%||$5,456|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Wayne State University may provide services like:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
The overall graduation rate of Wayne State University is approximately 32%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||8%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dance Program
- Coordinated Dietetics Program
- Law Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Nurse Midwifery Education Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
- Radiation Therapist Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Theatre Program
Wayne State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Basketball (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Football (Great Lakes Intercollegiate Ath Conf)
- Ice Hockey
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Wayne State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Personal and Culinary Services
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Wayne State University.
- University of Michigan - Dearborn in Dearborn, MI (8 miles away)
- Oakland University in Rochester Hills, MI (21 miles away)
- Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI (30 miles away)
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor in Ann Arbor, MI (33 miles away)
- University of Michigan - Flint in Flint, MI (55 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: