The Meadville Theological School was founded in Meadville, Pennsylvania in 1844. Its founder was a prosperous businessman, Harm Jan Huidekoper, who had discovered Unitarianism and wanted to help spread its message of liberality and hope in the "west." From its very beginning "no doctrinal test" was ever to be made a part of admission to the school. To become less isolated and to find a more enriching intellectual environment, Meadville moved in 1926 to become a part of the University of Chicago academic community.
Lombard College, originally the Illinois Liberal Institute, was founded in 1851 in Galesburg, Illinois, and its Universalist Divinity School in 1881 in Chicago. When the undergraduate college discontinued operations during the Great Depression, the Divinity School began a merger process with Meadville.
From 1929 to 2011, Meadville Lombard was located at South Woodlawn Avenue in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. Our school began a new chapter when we relocated to our current location on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago's South Loop.
The program list below was created by historical graduation information reported by the school. This list may not represent the current curriculum offered. Visit the school's website to get more information about programs offered.
Learn more about programs available at Meadville Lombard Theological School by clicking on the request information button.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Ministry (D, M)
Religious Studies (D, M)
*Amounts for tuition, fees, and supplies are an estimate which are calculated based on historical data and should be solely used for informational purposes only.
**Repayment rates, earnings, and loan payments are estimates and should be treated as informational tools only, contact the school for official information.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $20,000 per year for graduate students
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $740 to $890 per credit hour
- Required fees for graduate students are around $830
Other Theological Schools & Seminaries Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Meadville Lombard Theological School.
- Chicago Theological Seminary in Chicago, IL (0.1 miles away)
- Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago in Chicago, IL (0.3 miles away)
- McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago, IL (0.3 miles away)
- Catholic Theological Union at Chicago in Chicago, IL (0.7 miles away)
- Garrett - Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, IL (19 miles away)
- Northern Baptist Theological Seminary in Lombard, IL (21 miles away)
- Christian Life College in Mount Prospect, IL (26 miles away)
- Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Inc. in Elkhart, IN (84 miles away)