List of Private Universities & Colleges in Virginia
Top Ranked Private College Degrees in VirginiaRobust private colleges dot the state of Virginia providing quality educational opportunities in a diverse setting. In addition to campus life, the diversity in private colleges span from enrollment to academics to learning modalities. The enrollment at private colleges tend to be less than their state university counterparts. Smaller campus settings and limited class sizes lend itself to greater freedom for more expansive collaboration. Academically, students have the latitude to pursue various fields of study from niche areas of study to mainstream majors. Niche majors may include fields like robotics, nuclear engineering, cytotechnology, and gerontology where a handful of practitioners shape the field for those following. Mainstream degrees can be found at most private universities in areas like operations management, criminal justice, public policy, teaching, biology, and behavioral science.
Finding the Best Private College in VirginiaDiscover the best path for you by investing in deep introspection and analysis today. Spending time to evaluate your objectives and goals will shed light on what school to attend. We recommend you start your analysis by investing time reading our admissions guide followed by insider tips on how to get into your top school and how to reduce college debt. The powerful combination of these guides will arm you with information to make great decisions for your future.
List of Large 4-Year Private Universities in Virginia
There are 9 large private universities in our database for Virginia. Follow the links below to get more details about each school.
Large Universities with Research Facilities or Faculty
The universities listed below offer many diverse academic programs, have a large student body, and usually have research facilities or faculty involved with research. These schools very often have graduate and professional programs as well.
Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA
Visit the website for Liberty University at liberty.edu
- More Than 20,000 Undergraduate Students Enrolled
- Estimated tuition & fees: $21,000 per year
Regent University in Virginia Beach, VA
Visit the website for Regent University at regent.edu
- 5,000 to 9,999 Undergraduate Students Enrolled
- Estimated tuition & fees: $17,000 per year
Shenandoah University (SU) in Winchester, VA
Visit the website for Shenandoah University at su.edu
- 1,000 to 4,999 Undergraduate Students Enrolled
- Estimated tuition & fees: $32,000 per year
Large Primarily Academic Universities
Each university listed below offers a diverse set of degrees and programs, unlike the research universities listed above, these schools contain little to no research activity on campus and are primarily academic.
- ECPI College of Technology in Virginia Beach, VA
- Hampton University in Hampton, VA
- Lynchburg College (LC) in Lynchburg, VA
- Marymount University in Arlington, VA
- Stratford University in Fairfax, VA
- Strayer University - Virginia in Arlington, VA
Small to Medium Sized 4-Year Universities
The 4-year schools listed below have a small to medium sized student body and may offer a wide range of associate and bachelor's degrees. Get more information about each school by clicking the links below.
- in Glen Allen, VA
- in Norfolk, VA
- Averett University (AU) in Danville, VA
- Bluefield College in Bluefield, VA
- Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, VA
- Bryant and Stratton College - Richmond in North Chesterfield, VA
- Bryant and Stratton College in Virginia Beach, VA
- Eastern Mennonite University (Eastern mennonite univ) in Harrisonburg, VA
- Emory and Henry College in Emory, VA
- Ferrum College in Ferrum, VA
- Hampden - Sydney College (HSC, Hampden-Sydney, H-SC) in Hampden-Sydney, VA
- Hollins University (Hollins College) in Roanoke, VA
- Mary Baldwin College (MBC) in Staunton, VA
- National College (National College) in Salem, VA
- Randolph - Macon College (Randolph-Macon) in Ashland, VA
- Randolph College (Randolph) in Lynchburg, VA
- South University in Virginia Beach, VA
- Southern Virginia University (SVU) in Buena Vista, VA
- Sweet Briar College in Sweet Briar, VA
- The Art Institute of Virginia Beach (AiVA) in Virginia Beach, VA
- University of Management and Technology in Arlington, VA
- Virginia Union University (VUU) in Richmond, VA
- Virginia Wesleyan University (VWC) in Norfolk, VA
4-Year Colleges with a Special Focus on an Area of Study
The schools below are grouped by their special area of focus. To learn about admissions, tuition & fees, programs offered, and more click on the school names below.
Schools of Business and Management
- (DeVry University-Arlington) in Arlington, VA
- Averett University - Non - Traditional Programs (AU GPS and IDEAL) in Danville, VA
Health Professions Schools
- Argosy University - Washington D.C. in Arlington, VA
- Chamberlain College of Nursing - Virginia in Arlington, VA
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences in Roanoke, VA
- South University - Richmond in Glen Allen, VA
Schools of Art, Music, and Design
- The Art Institute of Washington in Arlington, VA
Theological Seminaries, Bible Colleges, and Other Faith-Related Institutions
- Virginia University of Lynchburg in Lynchburg, VA
Notes: Tuition & fee amounts are for both Virginia in-state residents and out of state students, unless noted otherwise. The tuition information displayed is an estimate, which we calculated based on historical data and should be solely used for informational purposes only. Please contact the respective school for information about the current school year.
Source: IPEDS Survey 2012-2015: Data obtained from the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Data may vary depending on school and academic year.